It is unquestionable how Dick and Betsy gather much attention, particularly, for their generous political donations. Also, how the couple often trends in the media due to their generosity. For instance, they both spoke Evergreen Commons, in September 2010. Through their foundation, the couple lifts the veil on the charitable giving. DeVos has donated a total of approximately. In 2015, the couple cashed out about 12 million in philanthropic contributions. The figure doubles the $5.3 million in campaign contributions over the past five years. Betsy and Dick DeVos portray a part of high-profile of a family dynasty.
Major contributions in the education sector
Dick DeVos deploys both charitable and political donations for pursuing their ideological education agenda. He does this through the promotion of vouchers as well as charter schools, which are mostly managed by non-profit organizations.
For the couple (Betsy and Dick), their contributions are evidence that education is vital. They donated over three million US dollars for educational causes in 2015. The figure accounts for 26% of their philanthropy in the same year. Their foundation donated 3% or $357, 000 to teams supporting education reform. The primary beneficiaries in 2013 were;
- $25,000- Detroit Charter School Company (New Urban Learning)
- $50,000- Compass College of Cinematic Arts in (Grand Rapids)
- $50,000- Rehoboth Christian School (parent controlled)
- $100,000- Ferris State University (Big Rapids)
- $200,000- Dick DeVos’ alma mater Northwood University (Midland)
- $301,000- Potter’s House (Wyoming)
- $315,000- West Michigan Aviation Academy
DeVos ensures the donations of their foundation meet the charitable organizations’ criteria. For instance, contributing to Great Lakes Education Foundation, which is a charter school started by Dick and Betsy. The couple emphasizes that most of the contributions aim at serving people and making lives better than before.
Expanding to the Arts and Culture sector
The couple also focuses on Arts and Culture. They contributed 21% or $2.4 million of their entire charitable donation towards arts and culture. To the DeVoses, having a proper arts management is critical to the future of their large arts community. The other part of the share is divided into the following:
- $488,250, or 4 percent- churches
- $618,000, or 5 percent- Health & Human Services
- $1.3 million, or 12 percent- Public Policy
- $1.5 million, or 13 percent- leadership and development
- $1.8 million, or 16 percent- civic, community and other
To learn more, visit http://dickdevos.com/.